Monday, August 24, 2009

Restaurant Review: Onzon Thai House


Stars: ****
Price: $$
Genre: Thai
Try: Pad Se-Ew, Fried Rice, Pad Thai, Thai Salad
Location: 2618 Merrick Road, Bellmore

Onzon Thai House is a great find on Long Island.  It reminds me of the Thai places I go to in the city.  They have a great lunch special... $8 for a Thai Salad and an entree from a list of choices.  The Thai Salad is delicious.  It includes greens with lots of thinly sliced carrots and a tasty peanut dressing.  The dressing is sweet and has a slight kick.  The Pad Se-Ew is an excellent main course here.  The dish has stir-fried flat, wide noodles, egg, bean sprouts and broccoli in a sweet brown soy sauce.  You can have it with your choice of meat as well.  I had it with beef, which was excellent.   The noodles are quite delish.  I love that they are wide rather than thin.  It makes for a great texture.  My one complaint was that there was very little broccoli involved... maybe 3 pieces.  The sweet brown sauce was very good, not too sweet, and not too thick.  Also, each time I have eaten here the food has come out piping hot and cleanly presented.   Everything tasted fresh and the meat was quality.  I've also had the Pad Thai with chicken.  It has rice noodles, egg, scallions, bean sprouts, tofu, and ground peanuts.  This was one of the nicest versions of Pad Thai that I've tried.  I don't love Pad Thai... but this one was really good.  The peanut wasn't overwhelming.  The bean sprouts were crispy and the noodles were just right, not chewy or limp.  I've also had the Thai Fried Rice, with jasmine rice, veggies, and red chili.  I liked it a lot.  The jasmine rice was flavorful.  It's a great light main course.  Still filling though.  I will definitely return to Onzon... maybe try one of the curries, one of the specials, and the Thai iced tea.  I like a good Thai iced tea.     

No comments: